Hello there! Here in Chicago, the weather is finally above 30 F which can only mean one thing… Spring is around the corner! With the excitement of warmer weather and getting outdoors, it’s the perfect time to spring clean your home. So what does this exactly entail?
There are more than 1 way of spring cleaning of course. For me, when I get in my cleaning zone, I’m unstoppable. I’ll keep going until I’m completely exhausted. Now, the beautiful part about spring cleaning is that you are gearing up for the warmer weather and starting fresh. Get out of the solitude and chill of winter, and pop out floral scents. Here are my top must do’s when it comes to spring cleaning and my main priorities.
- Mattress and bedding. The first thing you need to do is go out with the old and in with the new. Wash your winter bedsheets and tuck them away in your linen closet. Bring out the pastels, florals, or anything that puts you in a spring/summer mood. Before you put your new sheets on, flip your mattress. It’s important to flip your mattress every few months and by doing this during spring cleaning, you won’t forget. Fluff up your pillows, and get ready to have an awesome sleep tonight!
- Curtains/Blinds. Switch out your curtains if you have them in your bedroom. Just like bedding, it’s time to put away your winter curtains and bring out the pastels. Whatever color palette you prefer, now’s the time to put them in effect. For blinds, clean your blinds with a light all purpose spray and washcloth. Take your time with this process as it can get really tedious.
- Wipe down all dresses/side tables. No cleaning day would be complete without wiping down all surface areas. Don’t skip this step simply because you have a million other things to do. Wash clothes and a desired cleaning solvent will get rid of any dust and dirt that’s lingering around.
- Swap your winter clothes for summer clothes. This is the best part of spring cleaning in my opinion, but also the most time consuming and overwhelming. Pull out your spring time clothes. Because the weather in Chicago is unpredictable, I keep a few long sleeve shirts and sweaters in my closet just in case. Put away your winter clothes. Do the same for winter coats and shoes. Looks like it’s time to do some shopping! It’s tempting to purchase a new wardrobe for warmer weather, but you’ll only discover your hidden gems that have been hiding in the closet all this time once you swap winter for summer! Create piles – to keep, toss, and donate. It will make cleaning out your closet a bit more fulfilling when you can give back to those in need.
- Spring cleaning in the kitchen for me simply means deep cleaning everything from floor to ceiling, wall to wall. That oven you’ve been avoiding cleaning? Now’s the perfect time. Wipe down all counter tops, microwave, stove, sink.
- While you’re at it, clean out your pantry. Toss out anything that’s expired or unusable. If you stock piled on canned goods and they aren’t expired, donate them to your local food pantry.
- Swap out your winter cook books filled with stews and hearty chili’s for cookbooks with fresh salads and light fares.
Living Room/Family Room
- As you’ve done in the bedroom, switch out your curtains and/or deep clean the blinds.
- Throw your couch cushions and pillows into the washer. If you have microfiber couches, deep clean them with the right cleaners. It’s extremely important to use correct cleaning supplies for anything you clean for obvious reasons. It’s tempting to grab the first cleaning solvent you can get your hands on, but with delicate items such as microfiber and wood for example, the right cleaning supplies make the world of difference.
- Perfect time to change out your throw pillows into something more summer-y.
- Dust and wipe all pictures frames, surface areas, electronics, etc.
- Does your garage look like a hot mess with random items you stored away? Why not organize and clean up a bit. It will definitely be a big project so dedicate a weekend just for the garage. You will be so glad you did and the feeling of accomplishment will be an extra bonus!
- Store your winter scented candles away and pop out the floral scents! Even when it comes to air fresheners, peppermint and acorn scents can be saved for the fall. I’m a lover of candles so this is personally my favorite part!
- A simple and easy way to make your home more festive is by changing up your front door wreath. I was a bit sad taking down my christmas wreath but it is March already! I’m in the works of DIY-ing a springy/easter wreath. It’s a sweet touch that brightens up any door.
- Rearrange your furniture. I will randomly rearrange furniture whenever I feel like it, but if you are a bit more structured than me, then rearranging now is a great time. It will provide a new flow to your home without having a spend a penny. It’s small changes that will make a huge difference in the overall feel when you walk into a room.
What’s your favorite part about spring?